Tuesday, May 31, 2011

CHUCKMAN'S TOPPS' WORLD ON WHEELS 1953-1955 / 180-CARD COMPLETE SET / PLUS WRAPPERS, DISPLAY BOX, AND SAMPLES OF RED AND BLUE BACKS

This set was unusual in the fact that there was an early series, consisting of the first 160 cards, and a second series of only 20 cards published more than a year later. I don't know whether this small number for the second set reflects its lack of popularity or something else. The original set was very popular, and it was a favorite of mine. The backs of the main set are printed with red, the favorite color of Topps in its 1950s sets. The backs of the second set come in two different series, blue and red, and I do not know the reason. The really exciting parts of the whole set were the unusual cars, including sportscars, racers, and European exotics. There is perhaps an excessive number of early cars, not all of which are interesting or notable.



1 comment:

Vere Scott said...

John,

I am delighted to have discovered your blog with its bubblegum cards of the 1950s. I remember many of the series well. I have been searching the internet for some years hoping to rediscover them. I knew that they were indelibly marked in my mind and that I would recognize them instantly. And so it is.

I used to have many of the Topp's World of Wheels cards and Rails & Sails. Into what black hole my card collections disappeared I'll never know. The nostalgia associated with them, however, is powerful. The paintings in both these sets is excellent and accurate illustration art. As you say the cards are beautiful!

The 'floury' (icing sugar probably, I realize now) appearence as they came out of the wrapper; and the bubblegum odour that clung to the cards! Powerfully evocative for me still. (I was born in 1942.)

I was interested to learn that there were the two series. And I did not know the name of the company that produced them. As a 10-year old kid of course one does not have an awareness of or interest in such things. I had/have no particular interest in automobiles either but I used to thumb through those cards often. It was the first time I was aware of the diversity of the vehicles over the earlier years. I remember the colours of the cards as brilliant and the names of the cars as intriguing.

I find that relative to today our 1950s world was image poor. Magazine illustrations, comic books, bubblegum cards, National Geographic, Life magazines, were part of a limited but growing explosion of popular images. One saw a movie and it left powerful impressions & memories but one might never see it again.

My son grew up showing little interest in e.g. his dad's comic book collection or magazine clippings. So immersed was he from early in his life by overwhelming tsunamis of images virtually instantly available to him whenever he chose he showed little inclination to collect such things. At first I found this surprising but now I understand.

After over 50 years, what a thrill to discover that you've collected and scanned them all on your blog and made them freely available.

The high point of my day. Thank you!